Question:
Who should be responible when the snow plow has destroyed your mailbox?
2008-02-07 13:25:03 UTC
If you live in a area where you get snow and the snow plow destroys your mailbox, who is responsible to get it fixed? Does anyone know who is? Is it your or the company that plows down the snow in your county, city etc?
Five answers:
2008-02-07 13:43:35 UTC
Several years ago I worked for my county's highway department. If we ever destroyed or had to remove a mailbox, it was replaced by us with a small, standard mailbox. I assume your local government will replace it. Be sure to notify them of the incident.
?
2016-10-17 13:59:52 UTC
The snow did it. right this is the subject. If a plow is removing the snow from the line, it has to bypass someplace. on the tip of the plow, that snow has substantial tension and the truck/plow would in no way are available in touch with your mailbox, it would desire to be the snow is being pushed off the line and that's what's knocking over your mailbox. answer: distinctive sort of mailbox stand/help. per threat one triangular formed with the component in direction of the line will divert the strain around the mailbox. One improved? If on the different hand, you observed the plow driving force leave the roadway and bypass previous the sting of the line with the truck, hitting your mailbox interior the technique, then that would desire to be considered as reckless utilizing and that they'd desire to be reliable. additionally, i'd call the submit place of work. There are policies in regard to the region of the mailbox that come from the USPS, so per threat they have some perception into this issue.
Luna & Lawnboy
2008-02-07 13:58:19 UTC
It depends on whether or not the plow blade actually struck it, or if the weight of the thrown snow toppled it. If the former, then it is plain old negligence on the driver and is covered under their insurance coverage. If it is the latter, you are out of luck, since your mailbox was simply too weak to stand up to a predictable event.
charleslvjy
2008-02-07 13:53:02 UTC
In most cities and towns,you are responsible. Unless it can be proved your mailbox was hit on purpose. Snowplow truck drivers are very good drivers,but sometimes things happen. An on coming car that won't move over,some drunk guy that doesn't know which truck is the real one,or an animal runs in the road. I think you get the idea.
A * T
2008-02-07 13:43:15 UTC
Sorry to break this to you, but you will have to pay for your mailbox. Or fix it yourself. It's frustrating cause you are required to have one by the road to get the mail, but then they are at risk of being damaged. I've seen all kinds of set ups people have created trying to protect their mailboxes, because it is inevitable that they will get damaged.

At least the roads were drivable, right? `~`